Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Goodbye Si Si

I cannot believe this day has finally come! Here, Zal is kissing his beloved "si si" (soother) before throwing it in the garbage! I was going to wait until he was 2 1/2 to make this move, but he has been having trouble staying in his room after being put to bed (he thinks he's soooo funny, saying "hi mommy" and sauntering around the house), so I told him last night that if he came out one more time, I would take his "si si." He came out again and handed me his "si si," never thinking I would KEEP it! I did and it was ugly. I felt terrible and wanted to give it back, but he has to learn to respect me and stay in his room. And he needs sleep and I need my down time! Did I mention Dave has been away since last Monday?! I did everything I could to try to calm him down.....a short Jay Jay the Jetplane video, rubbing his back, singing, etc. He would just about fall asleep, I'd leave his room, and then the wailing would begin again. It took him an hour 1/2 to settle last night. He woke up three times during the night crying for his "si si." When he realized I wasn't giving it to him, he asked me to help put him back to sleep. So sweet. Poor guy. This morning, after texting Dave, we decided this is the END of the "si si." I explained that he is a big boy now and we have to throw "si si" away. I also said that we would go to superstore to pick out a new toy because he is such a big boy, bravely giving up his "si si." He is being very brave and loving in these photos. They actually make me tear up.

Here Zal is cradling his "si si." You can't see it because he is hugging it so hard. He loved it sooo much!

One last look...

And away it goes....

Out comes the bag...He even helped me put it in the bin. It happened to be garbage day today too. I really wanted to capture the garbage truck plucking it away, but we pulled up right as the giant claws reached down for the bin. I thought I should keep my hands on the wheel, rather than jump out to capture the moment. Zal saw it all.

Nap time today was another gong show. Zal now has a lovely white corvette toy car whose doors open and a little garden tractor to replace his "si si," but that wasn't good enough for falling asleep. He fought his nap for an hour 1/2. He figured that the best solution to not having a soother, was to avoid going to sleep. Eventually he gave up the fight. Tonight's fight lasted an hour. He is no longer wailing for his "si si." He did ask for it a few times, but there is no doubt in his mind as to where it now is. Tonight his tactic was to be a goof ball. He looked me straight in the eye and kept saying, "This is funny, Mommy. Funny, Mommy!!" I'm positive things wouldn't have been so drawn out, had Dave been here! I finally moved his bookshelf in front of the door. Thankfully, he couldn't figure out how to climb over it. This is what he looks like now...ASLEEP!!!   Now, I must go and pick up Dave. I think I will hang out in a coffee shop all day tomorrow while Dave watches the kids. Just Kidding! 


No comments:

Post a Comment