Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Update at 37.5 Weeks

Helping Mom unload the groceries after a trip to Costco

The ice cream was the only thing he was interested in helping me carry...
 
Zal: excited about his "new" bed??
 
Poor little guy threw a tantrum when he realized the crib was NO LONGER his. He tattled on Dave, who was setting it up, threw himself on the floor and cried. Letting him play in the crib seemed to help!
 
And his favorite song? Happy Birthday, of course!

So, how are things really going? Yesterday my obstetrician suggested that we start "getting the ball rolling" so to speak, next week, to avoid going overdue. Procedures that "get the ball rolling" (membrane stripping) don't necessarily mean instant labor (am not talking about being induced); it took over a week with Zal. According to her, because I've had a C-Section and am trying to give birth naturally, it is not favorable for me to go overdue and then to be induced. Being induced is a much different process on someone who has had a C-Section....and there are risks involved, such as uterine rupture. Ultimately, she said it was my choice.

After talking to Dave and some friends and fam, I've decided to end work next Friday (really only TWO teaching days before originally planned). My Dr. will write me a note, I've talked to the powers at be at school, and will tell the kids on Thursday. I have a lot to squish into the next four teaching days, not to mention the planning and marking that needs to take place. And my energy level? Well, it's pretty low and truthfully, my emotions have been all over the map this pregnancy (another reason I'm convinced we're having a girl). But, I feel really good about this decision. It gives me breathing room; at least the appearance of time with no work before the baby comes. :)

On top of the busyness that this is going to provide, Dave is off to South Dakota for four days starting Thursday. Argh! Please pray for extra patience with Zal, time to do my school work, and NO EARLY LABOR!!

Yes, patience with Zal. As cute as he is, he's becoming defiant and manipulative. The big boy bed is a big transition. It took an hour 1/2 for him to settle down tonight (Dave is playing Ultimate Frisbee). I tried all kinds of disciplining tactics; finally, I think he just got tired of fighting with me and fell asleep. At one point when I was trying the "ignoring" tactic he came up to me and said, "Mommy, hug?!" and he reached out his arms to hug me. He then kept saying, "Thank you, Mommy!" He KNOWS those are things I love. And then he giggled and giggled. It was hard NOT to laugh but yet I was so mad too. He's SO SMART. I did not use the "ignoring" tactic for long. 

He's sleeping soundly now, Dave is home, and I'm off to bed. Please send prayers and thoughts our way as the next few weeks feel really "out of control," and we all know how well I do in such circumstances! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment